Diabetes Care Tips
November is National Diabetes Month, and we want you to stay on top of your health by making sure you are checking in with the following diabetes care tips!
- Know your numbers!
- Blood glucose before meals: 80-130 mg/dL
- Blood glucose 2 hours after a meal: less than 180 mg/dL
- Hemoglobin A1c < 7.0%
*Consult with your doctor to discuss if they have a more specific goal for your blood glucose numbers.
- Daily Checks
- Assess your feet for any cuts, sores, blisters, swelling or anything not typical for your skin or nails.
- Take medication as prescribed
- Make time for daily movement / exercise most days of the week, 30 minutes per day
- Choose foods that help support your health and keep your blood glucose in a healthy range.
- Every 6- months
- See your dentist for a Dental Exam and let them know you have diabetes
- Hemoglobin A1c test (some may need to check every 3-months until blood sugars are well managed on a consistent basis)
- Check-in with your doctor to assess your overall health and care plan.
- Every Year
- Have your eyes examined and inform the optometrist you have diabetes
- Have your cholesterol and kidney tests reviewed by the doctor to make sure your results are in a healthy range.
Work with your doctor and dietitian to determine your individual medication and nutrition plan that will keep your blood sugar in a healthy range and promote overall good health.
Contact Columbus Wellness Medicine for more information on seeing our dietician! 614-420-2063